SO YOU DON’T HAVE A MILLION TABS OPEN AT ONCE
Organizing your bookmarks is more important than you might think. – Or maybe, you know it’s important and really want to get your millions of tabs organized, but it seems like it would take forever! Get ready to learn how to organize your Chrome bookmarks bar so you can finally close those tabs – once and for all!
The Benefits of Organizing Your Chrome Bookmarks Bar
Using bookmarks effectively will allow you to access the sites you need every day quickly. This will save you from having to sift through the other 20 tabs you already have open because you want to “look at them again” someday.
Before we can get started with this you need to make sure you are logged into your Chrome browser. If you are already logged in, CLICK HERE to skip the next step.
First of all, make sure you are logged into Chrome as your main user.
Click on the silhouette of a person in the top right corner of your Chrome browser. It looks like this:
If it doesn’t look like this, you may be logged in as another user. This is okay, but you will want to log in with your profile so you can begin saving bookmarks to your own account.
- FIND YOUR NAME – If you have logged in to this Chrome browser before then your user profile (or G mail account) might already be in the drop-down list. If it is, then choose it.
- OR ADD YOURSELF – If it is not there, then choose “Add” at the bottom of this list.
- In the pop-up window type your name under the “Add Person” & choose a picture if you want. It’s not necessary.
- SIGN IN – A new Chrome window will open asking you to “Make Chrome Your Own”
- If you don’t already have a G mail Account, then CLICK “Get Started”
- If you DO have a G mail Account, CLICK “Sign in”
- SYNC UP – It will ask if you would like to sync your data with this browser
- Click “Yes, I’m In!”
From here, you should be ready to start organizing.
Where Is My Bookmarks Bar?
If you’ve never logged into this browser before, you’ll notice that there is no bookmark bar at the top.
Here’s how you get them to show up:
DROP DOWN MENU – Find the three dots in the upper right hand corner (near your login icon)
BOOKMARKS – Choose “Bookmarks” & then “Show Bookmarks Bar” from this drop-down menu.
You might not have created any bookmarks yet. Or maybe you have a bunch, but they are unmanageable, and you can’t find the sites you need easily. So, let’s get started on the good stuff and organize your Chrome bookmarks bar!
BOOKMARK THIS – Pull up a page you would like to bookmark. In the video, Google Drive is the first one I create because it’s so essential in my day to day workings.
- STAR IT – Once you have your website loaded, click on the star at the end of the address field. This will bring up a pop-up for you to tell Google where you want to store this site.
- CHOOSE the BAR – Go ahead and just press enter here so we can see what happens.
- ADDED in the BAR – a Google Drive icon and the words “Google Drive” should have appeared in your bookmarks bar.
CLEAN IT UP – I see it a lot, where people have a ton of bookmarks in their Bookmarks Bar with a bunch of words clogging things up! Let’s clean that up a little.
- EDIT – Right-click on the Google Drive bookmark you just created, and choose “Edit”
- DO YOU KNOW THIS ICON? – I am familiar with the Google Drive icon. When I see it by itself I know that is where it is going to take me if I click on it. I don’t need the words next to it. So …
- ERASE THE WORDS – While the words are highlighted click “Delete” or “Backspace” so that the words disappear altogether. Then press “Enter” or click “Save”
- JUST THE ICON – Now you should only see the icon. Hopefully, you have also noticed how much space that saved you in your bookmark bar.
ADD MORE! – Now it’s time to add more. Obviously, if you need the words, keep them.
- MODIFY – If you can get away with less words to remind you, then modify what is in the “Name” field so that it’s shorter and takes up less space.
Organize Your Chrome Bookmarks
But, that’s not all! Let’s look at how to organize some of your bookmarks now so you can see the important ones you need each day.
FOLDERS – You can create folders to store your bookmarks in. You’ll be able to quickly access all of your “DIY projects” or “Vocabulary Lesson Plan Ideas” all in one place.
- CREATE a new folder
- FROM the BAR – You can right-click in the Bookmarks Bar and “Add Folder”
- FROM a SAVE – When you are saving a Bookmark you can click “New Folder” at the bottom of the pop-up window.
NAME IT – Name the folder and click “Save” Your new Bookmark Folder should show up in your Bookmarks Bar
- READY TO GO – You can now save bookmarks within this folder
- OUT OF THE WAY – If you have sites you want to keep, but don’t need them as accessible, you can even save bookmarks & create folders inside the “Other Bookmarks” Folder.
- Once it has at least one item saved inside, it will show up on the right-hand side of your Bookmarks Bar. This is where you can access those bookmarks that you want to view at a later date.
REORDER – Once you have some bookmarks saved, you can reorder them so they are in the order that you feel they will be most convenient.
- CLICK-N-DRAG – Just click and drag the bookmarks to the places along the bookmarks bar that make the most sense for your productivity.
- Use the short black line that shows up as you move them to determine where you want them in the bar or folder.
Okay – no more excuses! You now have some quick and easy ways to organize your bookmarks. Organize your Chrome bookmarks bar to clean up the million tabs you have open right now. Then organize them so they are easy to find.
The next time you sit down at your computer to do work you’ll be surprised that it takes you so much less time to find all the sites you need!